We have set a bold reduction target for greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions for ourselves. It covers our entire value chain for all of our suppliers such as creative agencies to partners like media owners and consumers. We set strategy and policy at Group-level, covering energy, waste, water, business travel and commute. The strategy is implemented locally by our operating companies, both geographically by brand but also horizontally by brand, through our delivery model.
We use a metric which measures greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions associated with users of our products and services: metric tonnes of CO2 per person. Some environmental impacts are also expressed in other metrics, such as the volume of water and waste.
Using this metric, we set a 2010 baseline for our direct emissions. We calculated it on an absolute as well as a per person basis. We don’t have a complete baseline picture for our indirect carbon footprint yet.
- Energy consumption
- Business travel & commute
- Waste & recycling
- Water consumption
- Estate management
REDUCING OUR SUPPLY CHAIN EMISSIONS
- Outsourced IT-related emissions
- Creative agency suppliers
- Stationery & office supplies including sustainable paper
REDUCING PRODUCT-RELATED EMISSIONS
- Media campaign emissions
- Media consumption emissions
- Emissions through consumer use & disposal
We will reduce the carbon footprint of our products and services with 20% per average employee.
Our Delivery Model
- Raising internal environmental awareness through our annual global social media campaigns;
- Engaging internal and external stakeholders around our global environmental programme, which leverages digital technology to take steps to reduce their energy consumption;
- Coordinate with IT and finance teams how to use capital expenditure investment rules to drive investment in greener technology and facilities;
- Work with our Future Proof champions to create locally relevant action on issues like paper procurement, recycling, greener commuting etc.